Cowell & Hubbard
Original Construction: 1919
Original Architect: Frank Ray Walker & Harry E. Weeks
Restoration Completed: 2010
Project Cost: $6 million
Scale: 32,000 sq. ft.
Services Provided: Preservation Architect; Preservation Consulting for Federal and State Historic Tax Credits
Constructed for Cowell & Hubbard Company, the building would house the prominent local jeweler as commercial development expanded eastward along Euclid Ave. to Playhouse Square. Cowell & Hubbard was known as one of the finest jewelry stores west of NYC during the early 20th century, and would operate at this location until closing in 1981. Rehabilitation of the building included restoration of significant exterior and interior features while augmenting secondary spaces to incorporate new uses. The historic mezzanine, grand staircase, and vault were all retained. With over 32,000 sq. ft. of space, the $6 million rehabilitation was completed in 2010.