Cleveland Institute of Art
Original Construction: 1914
Original Architect: Albert Kahn
Restoration Completed: 2010
Project Cost: $28.5 million
Scale: 174,000 sq. ft.
Services Provided: Architect of Record; Historic Preservation Consultant; Federal Historic Tax Credit; Ohio Historic Preservation Tax Credit
The 4-story industrial factory structure of reinforced concrete construction served as a branch assembly plant for Ford Motor Company until 1932. The primary facade features red brick and terracotta detailing, while the remaining elevations exhibit a more functional aesthetic. The building's interior has historically consisted of large open spaces for mass production of the Model T. The 174,000 sq. ft. building was rehabilitated in 2010 for continued use as the CIA McCullough Center for the Visual Arts, reinstating historic window configurations and bringing the building up to code compliance. An addition designed by Dutch architecture firm MVRDV was constructed as Phase II of the $52.2 million project.