Original Construction: 1930
Original Architect: George B. Post & Sons
Restoration Completed: 2006
Project Cost: $24 million
Scale: 180,000 sq. ft.
Services Provided: Architect of Record; Code Compliance; Interior Restoration Consultant
Cleveland Engineering Society: 2007 Award for Excellence
Cleveland Restoration Society/AIA Cleveland: 2007 Exceptional Accomplishment
Fenn Tower was originally constructed to house the exclusive National Town and Country Club. The 21-story Art Deco building included a gymnasium, running track, swimming pool, solarium, and 160 sleeping rooms, in addition to a ball room and banquet hall. The club closed in 1937 and was converted to house classrooms, dormitories, and amenities for Fenn College, which would later be acquired by Cleveland State University in 1964. The $24 million project rehabilitated the 180,000 square foot building exclusively as university housing, maintaining elevator and stair lobby, ballroom, library, gym and squash courts. Opening in August 2006, Fenn Tower now houses 175 apartment-style units.