Fries & Schuele
Original Construction: 1889
Original Architect: Hubbel & Benes
Restoration Completed: 2002
Project Cost: $14 million
Scale: 110,000 sq. ft.
Services Provided: Architect of Record, Preservation Consultant for Federal & State Historic Tax Credits, Conservation Easements
Cuyahoga County Commissioners:
2003 Recognition for Excellence Resolution
Cleveland Restoration Society:
2003 Restoration Society Preservation Award Adaptive Use
Fries & Schuele was one of Cleveland's pioneer dry goods stores, and one of the west side's oldest department stores. The five story white terra cotta building was rehabilitated in 2001 to introduce 36 residential units; a combination of condominium and townhouse units are separated by an interior courtyard. Including the first floor restaurant and office spaces, the $14 million project totals more than 110,000 sq. ft. of space in the heart of Ohio City and was completed in 2002.