Original Construction: 1860
Restoration Completed: 2009
Project Cost: $17.5 million
Scale: 175,500 sq. ft.
Services Provided: Architect of Record; Preservation Consulting for Federal and State Historic Tax Credits
This project, formerly known as the Union Gospel Press, is comprised of 13 masonry and 2 wood frame buildings in the Tremont neighborhood just south of downtown Cleveland. Constructed in phases over eight decades, the interconnected buildings now enclose one large courtyard and two smaller ones. The original architect remains unknown but the majority of the complex was constructed for the Gospel Worker’s Society as a missionary, hospital, and evangelical publishing house. The intricate and challenging interiors of the interconnected buildings were rehabilitated to house 102 units, consisting of both residential apartments and extended stay suites.