Original Construction: 1866
Original Architect: Joseph Ireland
Restoration Completed: 2004
Project Cost: $10 million
Scale: 66,000 sq. ft.
Services Provided: Architect, Interior Designer, Preservation Consultant for Federal Tax Credit, Conservation Easement
The mansion was built in 1866 for Anson Stager, general superintendent of the Western Union Telegraph Company. In 1869, Stager sold the house to T. Sterling Beckwith of Beckwith, Sterling & Co., a carpet and interior decorating firm. A group purchased the house in 1913 to begin the University Club of Cleveland that prospered during most of the 20th century. The mansion is one of the last remaining of “Millionaire’s Row”. Rehabilitation of the 66,000 sq. ft. Italianate and Second French Empire style mansion included rehabilitating the Mansion, Annex, Carriage House and Sports Center to function as the main campus building for Myers University.