Walker & Weeks Building
Original Construction: 1926
Original Architect: Frank R. Walker & Harry E. Weeks
Restoration Completed: 2005
Services Provided: Architect of Record, Preservation Consultant for Federal & State Historic Tax Credits
Cleveland Restoration Society:
2005 Preservation Award for Multi-Family Housing
The partnership of Frank R. Walker and Henry E. Weeks’ architecture firm grew during a period of rapid urban expansion and booming industry of the 1920s. They met the demands of complexity and largeness of scale by developing their departmentalized organization, exhibited in their own office building. The firm occupied 9,700 square feet on the fifth and sixth floors, leased the ground floor to a Lincoln Motor Car dealer and the intermediate floors to other tenants. Behind the classic façade, typical of their style of architecture, is a factory-like concrete-frame structure that allowed ample clerestory light into the space. The building now houses 36 spacious apartments ideal for students at Cleveland State University.